19 July 2006

childlike

This was such a great day. I remember it well, I remember I was with some friends…some old…some new…we were at the ocean on Coronado Island. We always go to this place right in front of The Hotel Del. It is great being on this particular stretch of sand, reason being it is right in the flight pattern of all the fighter jets as they come in to land. They always come screaming by and then they bank to the left only to make this huge circle as they prepare to land.

The day was prefect for being around the ocean. I remember the sky being really clear and the air smelt so good. So fresh and clean! This is strange I know, one might even use the word odd, but for some reason I get really scared of getting burned. Maybe it is the red hair…I don’t know. Because of this I always wear long sleeve shirts and a hat while being in the presence of the sun. There is this grocery store in town that sells $9.99 umbrellas and so I pick one of those up so I can sit under it and read. Books are great by the ocean…not heavy books just fun books, books that you can walk away from and not be worried you are going to forget everything. I remember at that time I was reading through the Chronicles of Narnia series.

I don’t know about you but when I read I have to have other things going on around me. I get so distracted and my mind wonders if it is to quiet. Because of this I tend to listen to music and go to public places if I want to read. The music has to be instrumental…it can’t have words in it. And so with the sound of instruments and people around it calms my mind down enough so that I can concentrate on reading. It is like this crazy equalizer. I remember being introduced to The Album Leaf and so I was listening to them while I was reading that day.

I remember this little girl…





I remember looking up and seeing her. She was with her dad and they were walking down to the edge of the water as it rushed up the sand towards them. She was carrying this little tiny purse while she was holding her dads hand. She was very timid of the water and didn’t want to be disconnected from her father.

As I was watching them I decided to grab my camera and I started to walk towards them. I really wanted to try and see if I could catch in some way the manner in which they interacted with each other (which isn’t normal because I don’t like taking pictures of people). So I walked over and I started to hold the camera up to my face as if I was taking pictures of all sorts of random things (when really I wasn’t even taking any pictures). As I was doing this I was watching this father and daughter through the lens of the camera.

I noticed that this little girl was talking to her father…I don’t know what she was saying to her dad (I wish I did). I remember seeing her give her little purse to her dad to hold. Then she started to walk down to where the water was until eventually it consumed her feet. It was great…the water was so far from getting her dress wet but she still naturally picked up one side of her dress so that it wouldn’t get wet.

As she stood there in the water she seemed to pause and stare. And that is where I captured her. Staring out and into the ocean. She seemed to be taking in all its beauty. Almost as if she new there was something more…something that she didn’t know the full extent of just yet.

I loved getting to watch this father and daughter laugh together and hold hands. And even though I missed the photograph of them together I still captured something that day. I just don’t know the full extent just yet.

I guess some things are just left to children.

heart.soul.mind.
kyle diroberts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home